Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Taste of Celebrity

Who do you get told you look like? Anyone? I mean besides family members! I have a few, and they have changed over the years. But lately, it’s started again, and I think it’s because my hair is getting so light with all my gray and the white highlights I put in it to blend in. I was at the mall Sunday, waiting for a store to open, (I was too early, a bad habit) and 3 ladies told me that I looked just like Meg Ryan. I used to hear that a lot about 10 years ago, but either she changed or I changed, and I hadn’t heard it in a very long time.

When I was in high school, I had long dark hair parted down the middle, like how we all wore our hair in the 70’s, remember? The movie, “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” came out, and was very popular. People started saying that I looked like Katherine Ross, who played Etta Place in the movie. I could see why they said that, she had long dark hair, green eyes, and a low forehead, like me. I took it as a compliment. When the movie went away, so did the comparison.

My mom worked for a makeup artist in the late 80’s or early 90’s making appointments for him and helping him do makeovers on local TV, and privately. I went with her one time to meet him in Seattle where he was working. Later, my mom told me that he thought I looked like Stockard Channing! She was the leader of the “Pink Ladies” in Grease, and in a lot of other stuff too. I didn’t like that comparison at the time. But when I looked at her picture after that, I could see why he said that, she had short curly dark hair, pointy chin, and big eyes, like me.

Then about the time the movie “French Kiss” came out in the early 90’s, I started getting told I look like Meg Ryan. I took it as a compliment, I thought she was cute! The main thing, I think, was that my hair looked just like hers, you know, blondish, spiky, and messy. But this time, it kept going on for years! I got preferential seating at restaurants, free desserts and drinks, and posed for a few pictures. It was kind of fun!!! There was one time that pissed me off, a UPS guy came into the office where I was working and said to me in front of my co-workers, “You look like a really big Meg Ryan!!” What the hell was that about? Did he have to say “really big”?? I wish I’d told him he looked like a big brown turd, but I didn’t. (Too many witnesses)

Meg Ryan went through a lot of changes in her life, and her looks even changed…reportedly from some cosmetic surgery which I know nothing about. So, I quit being told that I look like her, and lost all my “fame”! But it sure was fun while it lasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment